Sunday, April 17, 2011

Wontons, Wontons, and Wontons

My sister and father came to visit and requested a blog worthy meal but I also had to work that day.  So, I made a couple different fillings and sauces the night before and then just filled and fried them when they came over.  Everyone enjoyed them straight out of the skillet.  They were gone before I could finish frying the next batch. 

I made a typical wonton filling with pork, cabbage, carrots and ginger (blue bowl above) but then I got a bit more creative for the other two types.  On the wrappers and ready to be folded and fried are pork, pineapple, and cilantro wontons and in the white bowl is the filling for pork, apple, cherry wontons.  And in the tumbler is a manhatten on the rocks - good wonton making fuel.  The unanimous favorite was the pork, apple, cherry wonton with blue cheese dipping sauce.

Wonton 1
pork
cabbage
carrots
fresh ginger
green onion

Sauce 1
soy sauce
rice vinegar
red chili paste
sesame oil

Wonton 2
pork
apples
dried cherries (diced)

Sauce 2
plain yogurt
mayo
blue cheese

Wonton 3
pork
pineapple
cilantro
green onion

Sauce 3
plain yogurt
fresh lime juice
garlic
cumin

Obviously you want to dice or grate all of the filling ingredients.  Then just put a scoop of filling on a wonton wrapper, wet the edges (water works fine) and pinch the edges closed.  Heat oil to 350-375 in a deep skillet, or deep fryer if you have one, and cook until nice and brown.  I don't have a deep fryer so I use my cast iron skillet which is nice because of its thermal mass, the oil doesn't cool down much when you dip cold stuff in it.  I have also used a cast iron dutch oven in the past which works splendidly as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment