Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Beef, Potatoes, and Gravy


This was a lazy man's version of a recipe from Cooks Illustrated.  I made it as simply as I could so my sick girlfriend could just throw it in the oven a few hours before I got home.

Beef:
3-4 lb chuck roast
1 onion
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
garlic
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
1-2 Tbs tomato paste
1 tsp anchovy paste
salt

Put it all in a heavy dutch oven with a lid and bake at 300 for 3-4 hours.  If you have time, salting the beef and letting it sit for about an hour at room temp before adding everything else is supposed to add to the beefy flavor.  The anchovy also enhances the beef flavor.  the recipe said to saute' the onion and celery before adding the beef and liquids to the pot but I didn't and it was still tasty.

Gravy:
beef drippings
flour
balsamic vinegar
red wine

the recipe said to puree the veggies as a method to thicken the gravy but I didn't have a blender so I just used a rue the old fashioned way.  Adding some more red wine and a little bit of vinegar brightens up the flavors in a nice way.

Potatoes:
potatoes
garlic
butter
milk
salt

Boil the potatoes, add everything else and mash it up.  Yum.

The biscuits were great too but I didn't bake them. The recipe will be posted on this awesome baking blog soon: http://www.chipsandsugar.com/

3 comments:

  1. Regarding the potatoes: I recently learned that at some point (forget when, I'll get back to you), if you dump out the boiling water and then resubmerge the potatoes in another pot--already boiling--you get rid of a bunch of the starch, and the potatoes are then fluffier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's on the right of the dish? Biscuit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know about the potatoes. I'll try it next time. The thing on the right is a biscuit that was super tasty. http://www.chipsandsugar.com/

    ReplyDelete