Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sick Girlfriend Chicken Noodle Soup

Gents, this soup will make her love you.  If she already loves you, she will love you at least 56 units (metric) more.  Don't forget to mention you made the broth from scratch for a bonus 10 units of love.

homemade broth (see past soup entries)
white wine
6 chicken thighs
noodles
mushrooms
carrots
celery
sweet onion
garlic
thyme
salt pepper
fresh lemon juice

I usually make my stock fresh but I had some in the freezer from another soup and I was in a hurry.  Thighs were on sale so I baked them while I worked on the rest of the soup and then picked the meat off the bones and added it at the end.  To start, saute' the onions and garlic, add mushrooms and then celery.  Then add liquids and carrots.  One could add potatoes or kale as I had planned to but my pot was getting pretty full.  I like to cook the noodles separately and add them at the end. This way they aren't over cooked and my broth isn't all starchy.  Fresh lemon juice right before eating is optional but I really liked it - personal preference.

1 comment: