Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fried Calamari


I was at the Fisherman's Terminal today buying seafood for a clam chowder that has turned into an everything chowder (new england style) and I saw squid! Their little disembodied-tentacle-bunches stared up at me and cried, "Eat us, eat us". How could I not?  This was my first time making calamari and as it turns out, calamari is super quick and simple.  

Calamari:
squid
flour
5 spice
cayenne powder
salt
oil

Heat up canola oil to about 350F in a heavy pan - the heavier the pan, the less the heat will drop when you add the squid.  Just cut up the squid, coat in the flour mixture (add other seasonings if you feel like it) and fry. I tried dipping the calamari in the flour, then in egg and then in the flour again to get a thicker breading and it worked but the squid got lost in the breading and it was tough to get the dough crispy all the way through without over cooking the squid. One dip in the flour was enough. 

Dip:
mayo
garlic
salt
hot sauce
fresh lemon juice

Mix garlic with a pinch of salt and then add everything else.


2 comments:

  1. I never would have thought I'd enjoy squid, but I've eaten a lot of it here and have really come to enjoy the texture and the level of fishiness.

    P.S. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete