Monday, January 17, 2011

Pulled Pork, Homemade Pickles & Aioli


I need to fire Lars my photographer for this one. This sandwich is way tastier than it looks.  Pork shoulders were on sale so I threw one in a crock pot for a day and whipped up some refrigerator pickles and aioli. 

Pork:
1 pork shoulder (I think mine was around 4lbs)
apple cider vinegar
white wine
garlic

Cook in crock pot until meat is tender and shreddable (figure 6-8 hours)
I saved the drippings and plan to make a tangy sauce for another pork sandwich. Will post recipe when done.

Pickles:

carrots
cucumber
red onion
apple cider vinegar
water
sugar
salt

I used the slicing side of my box grater to slice the carrots and cucumber really thin really fast.  People living in this decade can use their food processors.  Start with about two table spoons of sugar per cup of water.  Mix half sugar water and half vinegar and adjust from there.  If you start these at the same time as the meat you'll  be in good shape and they're even better the next day.  I like to add fresh dill when I don't forget to buy it. 

Aioli:
mayo
garlic
thyme
rosemary
sage
salt
apple cider vinegar

Ok, so I took the shortcut and used mayo but that's because I'm lazy.  The apple cider vinegar was supposed to be lemon juice but that's because I forgot to buy lemons. Despite all of this, this recipe worked out well for this sandwich but you could mix pretty much any tasty flavors with mayo and have a decent sauce.  I like to start by mushing the garlic and salt together before adding the other stuff.  Mixing it with salt first seems to take the harsh edge off the garlic so you can taste more of the garlic flavor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment